Meet Our Team
Principal, Client Services
- Areas of Expertise: Operational and business risk management, process improvement, management system design, strategic planning, systems analysis and process improvement, performance measurement, training, communications
- Education/Certifications: B.S., M.S. in Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Registered Professional Engineer; Professor of Practice in the Adjunct Faculty of UW-Madison Civil Engineering Department
Tom assists industrial clients in operational and business risk management, process improvement, and compliance assurance. For over 30 years, he has consulted with a wide variety of industrial companies in the assessment, design and implementation of systems for quality, environment, and safety (QES)—ranging from organizing management systems from the ground up, to improving existing systems, to optimizing them to reduce costs and risks and improve performance. Tom’s ability to link business processes and quality management with effective environmental and safety practices allows clients to effectively manage business risks and liabilities and improve sustainability.
Tom is an innovator and developer of services to help industry improve performance and reduce costs of regulatory compliance:
- Designed and implemented a robust method and computerized tools to analyze human error and contributing factors in accidents/incidents and other process failures
- Played a key role in the development of a Responsible Care® Management System (RCMS) template, manual, and training program to support ACC/SOCMA member companies
- Designed and deployed advanced audit and compliance assurance programs for EHS compliance and QES management systems
- Assists clients with process design and documentation of environmental liability reserve setting and regulatory compliance systems under financial reporting standards
Prior to founding Kestrel, Tom co-founded RMT, Inc., a successful national environmental engineering company. Tom and his management team grew the firm to nearly $90 million in annual revenue with 25 offices across the U.S. and numerous international projects. In the early 1990s, Tom led an acquisition program for RMT, acquiring and integrating five companies with existing consulting operations and expanding them into industrial process engineering and construction management. He understands the issues of due diligence, blending of cultures and infrastructure, teamwork, and managing overhead in merged companies. Tom also has six and a half years of experience working for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, and has used this background to provide expert support, regulatory strategy, and negotiations for many clients.
Tom serves in the role of Adjunct Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison; has authored or co-authored more than 50 published papers, articles, and presentations on environmental engineering and risk management topics; and has been an expert witness in litigation support and administrative hearings.