Meet Our Team
Principal, Chief Engineer
Areas of Expertise: Engineering and construction project management; site operations management; environmental and mechanical systems engineering design, construction, and operation; wind and solar energy planning, design, and construction; control and SCADA system design and implementation; systems analysis; environmental regulatory compliance; Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP); Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plans
Education/Certifications: B.S. in Civil Engineering, University of Iowa; Registered Professional Engineer (Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, Connecticut, and Maine); Former U.S. Army Officer (Captain)
As Chief Engineer, Jack serves in leadership roles on Kestrel engineering and construction projects and manages Kestrel’s engineering service offering. He is an experienced consultant, working for over 20 years in the environmental engineering, renewable energy, and construction markets. Jack has a proven track record of success, with extensive leadership, project management, and technical experience in managing a diverse array of engineering projects, as well as leading and mentoring professional and technical staff.
Jack excels at helping Kestrel clients solve non-core, exceptional problems that require specialized engineering expertise. Some of his recent engineering project highlights at Kestrel include the following:
- Assists the owner of a brownfield site remain in compliance with environmental and safety regulations, while driving the site to closure/transfer to a third party. Work includes managing the daily operations of full-time site staff who operate a 250 MM gallon process water collection, conveyance, storage, and treatment system; providing engineering design and construction management services on maintenance and system improvement projects; and managing long-term planning and budgeting sessions with the client and stakeholders.
- Assists in the program management of facilities improvements for a Class I railroad client at its border crossing locations, coordinating design and construction activity to fulfill federal agency requirements and meet quality and efficiency objectives. Provided third-party analysis of material inspection processes in support of a multi-million dollar legal claim.
Prior to joining Kestrel, Jack worked as a Senior Engineering Design Project Manager on utility-scale wind and solar energy projects within an Engineer Procure Construct (EPC) company. Jack’s responsibilities included:
- Managing and leading the production of complete, constructible energy design documents
- Providing detailed planning and schedule coordination; budget and quality management of multiple engineering disciplines, including geotechnical; civil infrastructure; turbine foundations; medium-voltage underground collector systems; high-voltage interconnection substations; transmission lines; SCADA & communications; and permitting
- Managing contracts (i.e., bidding process, contract review, change management, claims resolution), and negotiating subcontracts with key engineering services providers, as well as public utilities
During Jack’s career, he has been a department management, coach, and mentor to a staff of engineers and technicians; lead project engineer/technical coordinator; and consultant. He served as the company-wide technical resource in the areas of pump-and-piping system design and modeling; electronic controls; instrumentation and SCADA systems; and conceptual and detailed multi-disciplinary design, construction, and operation of environmental remediation technologies.
Jack holds a U.S. patent for Method of Remediation of Soil and Groundwater, an enhanced aerobic bioremediation method that promotes the nitrification/denitrification process to remove undesired nitrogen compounds in the subsurface, particularly in industrial and agricultural areas.