Meet Our Team
- Areas of Expertise: Process and personal safety, asset integrity, reliability, risk management, strategic planing, EHS policy development, incident investigations and root cause analysis, human error, management of change (MOC)
- Education/Certifications: M.Sc. in Offshore Engineering and B.Sc. in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, The Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen; chartered member of the Institute of Occupational Health & Safety (UK)
Ewan is a Senior Consultant with over 20 years of experience working with major oil and gas operators. Prior to joining Kestrel, Ewan spent 12 years working for Chevron. He has held a number of roles with increasing responsibility throughout his career, from Project Engineer and Safety Team Leader, to Manager – Safety Technology Unit, to Senior Technical Safety Consultant. Ewan’s focus is on delivering sustainable results in process and personal safety, asset integrity, reliability, and risk management. He excels at strategic planning, identifying and building organizational capability, and shaping and implementing risk management processes and policies.
Ewan’s experience includes the following:
- Delivering an enterprise-wide, integrated, global HES organization to ensure increased stature and visibility of these areas
- Managing the development of a corporate Process Safety Organizational Capability Framework
- Executing and completing technical safety studies/reviews and leading complex technical investigations to facilitate development of root cause analysis on complex/high potential incidents, such as hydrocarbon releases, loss production events, well engineering incidents, and marine incidents
- Leading teams responsible for incident investigation and development of the compliance assurance process
- Reviewing and refining safety critical elements linked to identified major accident hazards
- Developing and implementing safety improvement plans, requiring management of data collection, development of a strategic gap closure action plan, and delivery of hazard perception training to over 900 offshore workers
- Contributing to the development of corporate HES Risk Management Process
- Developing plans to evaluate safety processes and procedures from legacy companies, identify inefficiencies in safety processes, and integrate the systems into new company standards
As an HES Team Leader, Ewan was responsible for the team delivering HES aspects of the transition for a major capital project to operations of an LNG facility. In this role, he reviewed and updated the LNG plant safety critical elements to better align them to the identified major accident hazards. This included leading a plan to conduct verification from design, fabrication, installation, and commission of the elements to provide assurances to the operations team at plant handover. He successfully developed a transition plan of HES tasks and deliverables from project to operations phase, and facilitated and led development of a risk reduction plan for the execution of construction activities during commissioning and startup.
Ewan has also played an integral role in the management of change (MOC) process and emergency response planning, and has facilitated risk assessments on all plant MOCs. He has successfully led teams through the audit process, liaising with business unit leadership and influencing the team to effectively demonstrate findings using data to support audit findings. He further has a comprehensive understanding of how human factors impact performance and has worked on projects to incorporate human error into corporate policies and processes.