Self-Diagnostic Tool: FSMA Preventive Controls
October 15, 2015 - Kestrel Food Safety
Compliance to the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) has presented challenges for industry, the public, and the FDA since it passed on January 4, 2011. With much being spent on further rulemaking and comments, many companies and industry segments are just now assessing and planning on how to meet FSMA’s requirements, including those for preventive controls.
Self-Diagnostic Assessment Tool
Kestrel’s self-diagnostic assessment tool is designed to help you better understand your organization’s current state of planning for FSMA compliance.
To complete the assessment, review your facility and answer the questions below. We encourage you to then contact to Kestrel to analyze your responses, and to discuss how to change “No” responses into “Yes” and establish best practices for FSMA compliance.
- In determining the preventive controls under FSMA for your food operation, have you evaluated your compliance requirements and categories?
- Have you assessed hazards outside or not part of your HACCP flows for determining preventive controls?
- Are the preventive controls you have identified supported by science-based justification?
- Is the science-based information supported by means including statistical methods, published reports, peer review, industry/second-party verification, or other documentation?
- Have you determined the program requirements for preventive controls for implementation in your Food Safety Management System?
- Have the policy, procedure, work instruction, test/validation, forms, and records criteria been established for preventive controls at your food operation?
- Have you determined the functional organizational responsibilities of preventive controls?
- Does organizational responsibility include oversight by process owners and FSQA management?
- Will completion of your program meet FSMA and customer deadlines?
- Will internal auditing of program elements meet established timing and allow for management review of preventive controls established for FSMA compliance?
Kestrel can provide recommendations to help you comply with FSMA. Led by a team of senior consultants averaging over 25 years of hands-on food safety experience, our industry experts offer guidance in evaluating and helping companies fulfill food safety certification requirements. Get your company compliance-ready.
Submitted by: Bill Bremer