Self-Diagnostic Tool: FSMA Foreign Supplier Verification (FSV)
October 29, 2015 - Kestrel Food Safety
Compliance to the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) has presented challenges for industry, the public, and the FDA since it passed on January 4, 2011. With much being spent on further rulemaking and comments, many companies and industry segments are just now assessing and planning on how to meet FSMA’s requirements, including those for Foreign Supplier Verification (FSV).
Self-Diagnostic Assessment Tool
Kestrel’s self-diagnostic assessment tool is designed to help you better understand your organization’s current state of planning for FSMA compliance.
To complete the assessment, review your facility and answer the questions below. We encourage you to then contact to Kestrel to analyze your responses, and to discuss how to change “No” responses into “Yes” and establish best practices for FSMA compliance.
- Have you assessed your food safety impacts for FSMA foreign supplier requirements?
- Does your food material supplier base include foreign sources under FSMA?
- Does your current supplier program include specific requirements of your purchased product specifications?
- Does your current supplier program require specific requirements for FDA and FSMA?
- Have you established an FSV strategy and plan for compliance under this FSMA rule?
- Has the responsibility for FSV been determined and assigned at the executive and management level in your organization?
- Does your organizational responsibility include the Food Safety Team and FSQA oversight?
- Have you established the criteria for third-party verification of foreign suppliers and the criteria for approval?
- Have you determined the conditions of acceptance of an FSV and evaluated the possible business impacts and liabilities?
- Will the acceptance aspect of FSMA programs and suppliers include a legal opinion in addition to a compliance certification of the program or suppliers?
Kestrel can provide recommendations to help you comply with FSMA. Led by a team of senior consultants averaging over 25 years of hands-on food safety experience, our industry experts offer guidance in evaluating and helping companies fulfill food safety certification requirements. Get your company compliance-ready.
Submitted by: Bill Bremer