Human Factors Integration Tool (HFIT™)
Kestrel’s Human Performance Reliability (HPR) process enables companies to identify, understand, and ultimately manage the underlying contributing factors to human error. Effectively implementing the improvements identified through HPR requires a robust management tool that can collect, measure, and communicate HPR inputs and outputs.
Kestrel’s Human Factors Integration Tool (HFIT™) is the software companion to the HPR process that allows our team to assess current safety incidents, streamline the review process, and manage incident data.
Creating a Streamlined and Standardized Process
With efficiency at its core, HFIT™ is designed to streamline and standardize the HPR process. In addition, HFIT™ helps companies to:
- Integrate human factor analyses into their incident investigation processes
- Identify underlying factors contributing to unintended events (e.g., incidents and accidents, environmental releases, air emission events, product quality deviations, food safety events, medical mistakes)
- Link identified human factors to specific operational controls that are missing or need improvement to reduce the likelihood of incidents
- Reveal immediate local and systemic improvement actions
- Identify system-wide opportunities for improvement in the prevention of unintended events
Integrating an analysis of human factors into operations is challenging. Kestrel’s approach allows companies to apply HPR and tailor HFIT™ to their unique operations, based on a common underlying methodology:
- Modify and Fit – Through a disciplined consultative process, HPR is adapted to a company’s existing incident investigation processes.
- Process Support– HFIT™ provides guidance on the multi-level HPR framework used to systematically identify active and latent failures contributing to human error.
- Report and Measure– HFIT™ uses statistics to identify gaps and patterns in existing prevention barriers, which enables priority setting for improving operational controls.
HFIT™ is a cloud software solution that is offered to clients on a subscription basis. HFIT™ is hosted with encryption and security measures that meet or exceed industry standards. All client data are maintained for confidentiality.