GFSI Certification Strategy & Planning: Self-Diagnostic Assessment Tool
July 16, 2015 - Kestrel Food Safety
An effective food safety certification strategy is essential to building sustainable programs. In fact, planning and strategy are required aspects of food safety conformance and compliance. However, food safety certification is a relatively new concept, with most companies having fewer than three years of experience establishing and maintaining certification. Many companies and industry segments are just now assessing how to meet these requirements and developing plans for certification.
Self-Diagnostic Assessment Tool
Kestrel’s self-diagnostic assessment tool is designed to help you better understand your organization’s current state of planning for GFSI certification and determine the sustained level of your Food Safety Management System. To complete the assessment, review your facility and answer the questions below. We encourage you to then contact to Kestrel to analyze your responses, and to discuss how to change “No” responses into “Yes” and establish best practices for creating an effective food safety certification strategy.
- Do you have an effective strategy and plan for GFSI certification that includes all key personnel in the organization, including senior management?
- Is the status or your food safety objectives maintained and reviewed in a timely fashion by an approved Management Review process to ensure conformance with standards?
- Does the deployment of human resources adequately support your Food Safety Management System with maintained qualifications, training, capability, and leadership?
- Are your customer requirements and advertised capabilities aligned with your food certification and consumer product level intended use?
- Is the response to customer and market feedback for analysis and response effectively managed and monitored within your Food Safety Management System?
- Is the management of your food safety documentation that is required for certification sustained, validated, and verified under document management?
- Do you have an effective and current process to monitor and update your qualified suppliers?
- Does your corrective and preventive action process provide for ensuring proper severity and response to corrective actions?
- Are corrective actions and Food Safety Management System improvements effectively verified as closed and complete?
- Do you engage in timely monitoring of the status of your Food Safety Management System and strategy to ensure sustained integrity of the program?
Kestrel can provide recommendations to help you improve your food safety certification strategy and plan. Led by a team of senior consultants averaging over 25 years of hands-on food safety experience, our industry experts offer guidance in evaluating and helping companies fulfill food safety certification requirements. Get your company certification-ready. Contact Kestrel at email@example.com or 847-533-5948.
Submitted by: Bill Bremer